1. The difference between a certified custodial technician and the common janitor is that a certified custodial technician knows more and does more than just making things look clean and smell nice. Certified custodial technicians have the additional focus on human health and safety, as well as an understanding of the assets they are caring for to avoid costly damage that can occur when workers do not have knowledge about certain surfaces.
2. Both knowledge and skills are required of custodial workers. They must master the basics of cleaning chemicals as well as the numerous tasks necessary to efficiently maintain a facility.
3. Training in the proper selections and the use of chemicals prevents immediate and long-term health problems to custodians and users of the facility.
4. Training in the proper selection and use of chemicals prevents the development of chemical resistant germs and bacteria.
5. Training in proper selection and use of chemicals prevents costly damage to surfaces.
6. Educating staff on proper cleaning procedures and safety, reduces legal liabilities arising from accidents with occupants of the building.
7. Failure to properly clean restrooms can leave potentially harmful germs and bacteria behind on surfaces, which presents opportunities for cross-contamination and infection.
8. Proper cleaning procedures reduces the potential of chronic illnesses like asthma caused by VOCs, dust, dirt, odors and other contaminants, and residue on surfaces.
9. The proper training and correct application of chemicals , the proper selection of tools and equipment decrease the health risk to cleaners and building occupants while maximizing the life of the fixtures, furniture, floors and carpets.
10. The use of wrong tools and improper chemicals can damage floors and carpets, which can make costly repairs or replacement necessary.
11. Proper training increases productivity, effectiveness, reduce wastage and increase the life span of the building.
12. Training personnel improves employees' behavior, attitude, social interaction, attire and positively affects job performance.